Tenebrae marks one of Dario Argento’s best giallo pictures. It has all the hallmarks of one of the greats. Religion, black gloves, straight razor, long coat, killer in disguise, elements of a whodunnit, etc… Synapse Films presents an amazing edition of the Argento classic. A beautiful complete disc set that really makes you feel like you’re watching the movie for the first time all over again.
While this was by no means the first Giallo picture ever made, it managed to set a standard for being absolutely stunning and beautiful despite the heavy use of gore. One famous scene in particular sees a young woman with her throat freshly cut – splattering her blood all over the room. The result looks like a painter creating his masterpiece. However, instead, it’s the arterial spray that paints the walls from stark white to crimson.
Synopsis for Tenebrae it goes like this:
Tenebrae stars Anthony Franciosa, John Saxon, John Steiner and Daria Nicolodi.
American mystery author Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa, Death Wish II) comes to Rome to promote his latest novel, Tenebrae. A razor-bladed psychopath is on the loose, taunting Neal and murdering those around him in a gruesome manner, just like the character in his novel. As the mystery surrounding the murders spirals out of control, Neal investigates the murders on his own, leading to a mind-blowing, genre-bending conclusion that will leave you breathless!
DISC 1 (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY) – ORIGINAL VERSION
– 2022 4K restoration from original camera negative
– 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio
– Original and featured titles in Italian and English and insert photos
– Original DTS-HD MA lossless Italian and English 2.0 mono soundtracks have been restored
– English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
– Audio commentary by authors and critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
– Audio commentary by Argento expert Thomas Rostock
– Audio commentary by Maitland McDonagh, the author Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento
– Yellow Fever: The Rise and Fall of the Gialloa feature-length documentary that traces the genre from its beginnings to its influence on the modern slasher film, featuring interviews with Dario Argento, Umberto Lenzi, Luigi Cozzi and others.
– Being the villaina newly edited archival interview with actor John Steiner
– From the shadow, an archival interview with Maitland McDonagh
– The voices of the insensiblean archival featurette featuring interviews with writer/director Dario Argento, actresses Daria Nicolodi and Eva Robins, cinematographer Luciano Tovoli, composer Claudio Simonetti and assistant director Lamberto Bava
– Screaming Queenan archival interview with Daria Nicolodi
– The unhealthy world of Tenebraean archival interview with Dario Argento
– A composition for carnagean archival interview with Claudio Simonetti
– Archival introduction by Daria Nicolodi
– International theatrical trailer
– Japanese “The Shadow” theatrical trailer
– Alternate opening credits sequence
– “thick-skinned” end credits sequence
– Image gallery
Tenebrae arrives on 4K UHD starting September 26. As we get closer to launch don’t forget to check out Synapse Films.